WHO WE ARE: CALIFIA FARMS
We're Califia Farms (Califia, pronounced like California), the plant-powered food and beverage company of the future. Our mission is to innovate delicious plant-powered foods for mindful nourishment. We're led by beverage visionary Greg Steltenpohl, crafting, concocting and cold-brewing beautifully bottled goodness from the San Joaquin Valley. Our name comes from the Spanish legend of warrior Queen Califia, the goddess of bounty and abundance who ruled over the mythical island of California. We make our daily decisions using these five core values: Do, Learn Improve; Act Like an Owner; Challenge the Status Quo; The Bottle is Half Full; and Using our Sixth Sense (being conscious of our impact on others and the planet).
In a snapshot:
The primary objective for this role is to lead the Califia Farms new beverage business selling and development efforts across all immediate consumption (IC) channels: C-store, Drug, Foodservice and Broker Management. The successful candidate will have the responsibility of selling new HQ chains, developing existing HQ chains, and implementing the national account plans for major accounts with a multi-state region up to 50% total US. The position requires demonstrated sales success in the branded Consumer Packaged Goods (Coffee experience is a plus) primarily in packaged beverages. This role will primarily be a “hunter” of new business. Califia Farms is in the early stages of growth in the IC channel, so this role will require heavy-lifting/hitting the streets selling as the key sales lead in West.
The successful Director IC Sales West will target and develop new business opportunities; create value for customers correlating to high customer satisfaction; develop and implement annual key account business plans; and maintain relationships across functions, business units and geographic boundaries (Marketing, Finance, and Operations). Director West will be located from CA to TX in major US city.
The Director Business Development prepares plans, presents to customers, and develops new business opportunities while becoming a consultant, negotiator and partner to the business. The successful candidate must have a broad understanding of major National Accounts businesses with outstanding analytical, account planning and influencing skills. The geography the Director of Sales will canvass will be wide-open to heavy expansion given the level of “white space” in the Western half of the US. Must be able to analyze and prioritize plans autonomously and “own” the IC National chain targets and existing business within his/her territory. National Chains will be critical to the overall success of Califia Farms. Examples: 7-11 Corp/FOA’s, Chevron, Circle K, AMPM, Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, Core-Mark, McLane, Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid.
Preferred Location: Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Los Angeles, Phoenix
• Set up of sales plans for new business within territories – set percentage of time on hunt/farm
• Selling of new and organic programs to existing and target accounts within specific timeframes for annual customer POG’s and Marketing calendars
• Develops the vision & long-term strategic plan (3-5 year) for major accounts
• Sells primarily IC beverage to targets – owns/works customer and channel tradeshows
• Will work with and own all Broker Responsibilities (The Avalon Group + Advantage Sales and Marketing)
• Identifies, addresses, and sets corrective measures for shortfalls and risks to plan for NA’s
• Detailed Account profiles with Califia Farms CRM
• Attain or exceed identified monthly, quarterly, and yearly sales volume goals
• Responsible for the sales forecast for assigned customer and communication with FP&A teams
• Ownership of New Business Finance Approval process with FP&A prior to all NA presentations
• Bachelor’s Degree with 10+ years as Senior Sales Executive from a major CPG/Natural Beverage company – smaller entrepreneurial culture and mindset is CRITICAL
• “Current” partnerships with major C-store/Drug/FS National Accounts at multiple levels is highly preferred
• Experience and success with major broad-line distributors (McLane, Coremark, Eby-Brown, Dot, Sysco, USFS)
• High beverage acumen that can “connect-the-dots” on the what-how products get to customers
• Outstanding communication and presentation skills via “Strategic Selling” principles
• High proficiency in Microsoft Office – Power Point, Excel, Word, along with internal systems
• High impact, dynamic, visionary leadership skills – dependable, independent “road warrior”
• Must be able to travel 40-50% overnight travel as determined by new business plans
• Hands-on performer who can lead a new business process in an entrepreneurial environment
• Skill-set to sell National Headquarters in IC channels where Califia Farms Coffee/Almondmilk/Yogurt are NEW on their agenda
• Understand and embrace CATMAN principles and articulate “win-win” scenarios
• Represent Califia in a highly professional manner internally, customer HQ’s, and tradeshows
• Highly collaborative across multiple support groups – Finance, Marketing, Operations, Sales Peers
• Articulate complicated RFP specifications and breakdown elements for internal understanding